Boursier x Poool

Smoothly implementing a new paywall strategy


Growing the member base without halting progress

When we started talking to the economy and finance news expert, they were already using a freemium paywall that blocked some premium articles reserved solely for subscribers.

Two key insights quickly arose from the basic analysis which allowed us to think about how to best optimize the system already in place:

  • had a strong selling point: specialized and highly attractive content.
  • The step that preceded subscription was signing in as a member on the website.

Fortified by these elements, the strategy was put together: we were going to exploit the potential of content that was open to non-subscribers in order to grow the member base! Despite this change, the number of page views and guaranteed revenues from advertising would not be impacted...


A/B testing a datawall on 25% of the audience

To encourage readers to become members, Boursier’s marketing team decided to implement a datawall on the free content, whilst still blocking some exclusive content behind a hard paywall.

In keeping with the philosophy of progressive deployment, the team decided to test this strategy on only 25% of their audience at first, all the while still implementing the old model on the remaining 75%.

The journey for readers is as follows:

  • readers are first allowed to read 4 articles for free
  • a popover at the bottom of the page shows how many articles are left
  • after reading the 5th article, they have to become members to access all the free content without being limited


With Poool’s help, has grown their member base by 25%

After 3 months of testing, with impressive results, decided to deploy Poool on 50% and then 75% of the free-content-consuming audience.The goal of increasing the member count still remains but new ideas are being added: optimizing advertising revenues, anti-adblock monetization, device-oriented journeys, and so on. How exciting!

50% of new subscriptions are generated by 25% of the tested audience
Limited impact on the visit intensity
Nearly unchanged pageview number
Subscriptions boosted by relevant and exclusive content

Our clients testify

We wanted to test new levers in order to grow and qualify our member base, while highlighting the associated service offer. So we implemented Poool’s widgets very quickly and very easily with the help of the team. The flexibility of the tool allowed us to make some tests on a small part of the audience then to extend it to a bigger part of our readers. Today, Poool is the main source for new members on our website.

Renaud Coldepin, Digital Marketing Director, Newsweb.